Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Barbie Rocks


Listen, I think Barbie gets a bad rap. There are all kinds of books and articles and pundits out there yelling about how Barbie is a bad role model and causes young girls to have body issues. I seriously have to disagree with both of these points.

First, Barbie is not a bad role model (she can't be a good or a bad role model because she is a doll, not a human, but I digress). The first female doctor I ever saw was Barbie. She shows girls that there are careers out there for women, and she gives them something to strive for. In fact, a Barbie that came with a camera when I was a kid was probably what piqued my interest in photography. These days I do family portraits and weddings in my spare time, and am paid well for my skills. Barbie certainly wasn't a bad role model for me. 

As for body issues, give me a break. Little girls were comparing themselves to each other, and to their mothers and big sisters, long before Barbie ever came along. Do people really believe that no young woman ever wanted larger breasts before 1959? You mean to tell me that women weren't cinching their waists to look smaller for hundreds of years before Barbie, that she created a culture, all by herself that causes little girls to want to be shaped a certain way?

There are a lot of conversations that we can have around children's toys and how they effect their development, but can we please just let these arguments go the way of the corset?

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post. I agree, I feel as if people will find a way to make excuses for our culture in any way they can. Body issues has always been a huge factor with or without barbies. I guarantee that a child who does not own a barbie and has never seen one will still grow up having some insecurities. I took a class in tv media and realized how many things people pick apart to create an argument. I believe it is all excuses and to just let our children have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not AGREE more! I've loved Barbie since I was an infant. I still have some of my old Barbies in my attic of course, but my first one was teacher barbie. I once read a comparison of Barbie to Brat Dollz and was not shocked with the results. They basically called Bratz little sluts and Barbie a role model. Barbie may have a perfect figure, but she makes girls know they can do whatever they want!

    There is an adult line of Barbie clothes and accessories that are to die for. Here is a link to see one of the bags!
    http://www.asos.com/Pauls-Boutique/Pauls-Boutique-Loves-Barbie-Molly-Embossed-Bag/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1048797&SearchQuery=barbie&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Pink

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points all around there! As a non-female (what do you call it...the one with the penis...male! That's the one) I guess I'm on the outs of this debate, but I couldn't agree with you more. The whole thing reminds me of a film class I had years ago where the professor, a middle aged woman, lectured us on the evils of Disney movies. How they promoted unrealistic standards for little girls, represented unfair body types, and projected images of helplessness without the aid of a heroic male lead. Of course, this coming from a woman who watched Disney movies her entire youth, and wound up independent and intelligent enough to formulate such an opinion. Obviously, there are harsh standards EVERYWHERE today, we just have to learn how to deal with them. As for Barbie and it's emotional damage on girls...I'm pretty sure airbrushed pictures of Kim Kardashian's ass on every magazine cover as slightly more damaging.

    ReplyDelete