Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Keeper of History

When I was about 12 years old I would wander around downtown Middleboro, MA. I lived only about a mile away, and I liked to explore and be with my thoughts. One day, I went to an antique store. There were all kinds of amazing things there, including a box of old photographs. I spent about an hour looking through them all. Near the back of the box there were some newspaper scraps from 1911 or so. I was absolutely enthralled, and bought them for 50 cents. I think the store owner thought I was nuts. Ever since that day, I have had a minor obsession with newspapers, and how important they can be as first-hand accounts of history.

Flash forward five years to September 11, 2001. Well, we all know what happened that day. I won't get too deep into my reactions, but suffice it to say it was life altering, and I became obsessed. The newspeople said to donate blood, but I couldn't donate blood because of medication I was taking. The newspeople said to send money, but I didn't have any. They called for volunteers, but I was too young to be of much help. So I did the only thing I could do. I called libraries and grocery stores, and I collected all of the newspapers from that day that I could, and I am saving them. Someday my children will ask me about that day, and I will pull out those papers. I bet they will be able to illustrate what happened better than a textbook ever could.

5 comments:

  1. I think it's awesome that you collected the newspapers. I was only 12 on September 11, 2001 and I wish I was old enough to think about what to save for my children. We do have a magazine that came out after 9/11. Maybe I can put that in my little memory box.

    I always wanted to know about where my parents were when JFK was shot and how the news handled it. My mom regrets not saving the newspapers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a senior in High School, so my experience was probably significantly different from yours. In a way, it is probably good that you couldn't really even begin to grasp the enormity of what was happening. It was a terrifying time, and a lot of media outlets made a point of telling parents how to talk to their children about it in a way that wouldn't frighten them.

    It is never too late to start saving. Just make sure your don't turn into a hoarder ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story is amazing and I am so intrigued with your young self and the fascination you had. Instead of getting caught up in trouble you took and educated route which I truly respect and admire. I would love to hear more about those newspaper articles and some of the interesting stories you read about because I am also interested in the past and different generations. Thanks for your insightful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoy antique shops, you never know what you will find. I think that is half the intrigue and appeal. Usually people go to specific stores for specific reasons. Then again perhaps those who frequent antique shops enter for the specific reason of getting lost?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story is something your children are going to be proud of, to be able to say that their Mom has copies of all the original articles surrounding the horrific tragedy that took place in 2010. Koudos.

    ReplyDelete